Monday 27 April 2015

Week 5 Day 1 - Everyday I'm Stronger, Everyday I'm Wiser

27/04/15 Day 29 –Legs

First of all I'd like to apologise for not posting yesterday, I was very busy and just did not have the time to fit everything in.

Today I started Week 5 of my 12 Week programme, which means a new style of training is upon me and this week the style of choice is the old school, classical German Volume Training (GVT). This uses the 10 x 10 rule, giving you a one minute rest interval between sets. GVT is designed to fatigue the muscles to incredible lengths, not only on one exercise but multiple machines and exercises with a range of different compound and isolation movements, which means one thing, pain. We are looking to once again flood our muscles with lots and lots of blood, achieve hypertrophy through micro fibre muscle tearing and get a bit hot and sweaty in the process. So lets get to it. Today's training is as follows:

Barbell Squats – 10 Sets x 10 Reps
Leg Extensions – 5 Sets x 15 Reps
Laying Leg Curls – 5 Sets x 15 Reps
Seated Calf Raises – 10 Sets x 10 Reps

Cardio – Interval Training 15mins Total

I was training with Dad today, so if you don't usually train with a partner try it out for this session, with these high volume training you will need as much motivation as possible!

Beginning the session strong we started off with the traditional Barbell Squats, this is an exercise that requires a lot of mental focus and will power, so if you have it make sure you get your creatine and pre work boost in, you will need to be as mentally switched on as possible. Starting with a few warm up sets I gave myself a few minutes to really get “in the zone”, find my motivation and let the pre-works course through my veins, pulsating around my mind and body, I was ready to begin. With the first few sets behind me I was feeling on top of the world, my form was strong, the tempo was on point and I was set for gold. After 5 sets I think it's fair to say I was flagging slightly, I dropped the pace of each set, made sure each rep was low, strong and controlled. If you do have a weights belt it's always s good idea to have that extra safety precaution when you are starting to wear and fatigue. With only 60 seconds between each set it become very taxing on both your breathing, your mental focuses and most importantly your strength, so be prepared to maybe drop the weight for the last few sets!

After this it was onto the Leg Extension isolation machine. Here we were working in a higher rep range, but a lower set range, this meant we were able to take these sets a bit heavier as we were taking 90 second rests between sets. For me I hit a Pb on this machine which was a huge plus for the training. Remember – when you are training its about you and only you, you can't compare yourself to anyone else, because you aren't anyone else, you are you and you should be proud of that. My main focus here was to go heavy, be in control and try to squeeze the rep at the top of the motion, again looking to flood that muscle group as much as humanly possible to get all that naturally occurring HGH (human growth hormone) working its way around the body.

Jumping next door to the polar opposite machine: Laying Leg Curl, we again were working in that higher rep range with big breaks and lower sets, so don't be afraid to go a bit heavier and if you have a training partner standing by you may even want to perform some forced reps to finish off each set to really get the maximum benefit of this training. With my head 100% switch on I managed to blast through this exercise, making sure not to over extend my range and lose the contraction. Remember – if you can't feel the contraction then it probably isn't doing much, seek to learn how your chosen muscle contracts, focus on your mind-muscle connection. When you get your connection perfected you won't believe the results you can obtain.

To finish off the session we took a short stroll to the Seated Calf Raise machine. This wasn't favouring my fathers needs, so he moved onto the standing calf raise machine for this while I stuck with the intended programme. Once again I hit a new Pb on this exercise, which in all honesty is incredible when the sheer volume is taken into consideration, working 100 reps on one muscle group is taxing alone, but when coupled with such short resting periods you are seriously testing what you are made of. Admittedly my range started to reduce across the last two sets, but unfortunately I'm too damn stubborn to lower the weight, instead I just forced myself to try and work harder!

Couldn't really have been happier with this session, so leaving with a royal smile stamped across my face I find myself here talking to you wicked people.

So if you need help with your training and want to talk to a qualified personal trainer and fitness consultant send me an e-mail at : mgonlinept@gmail.com its free and easy and could change your life.

Hope you are all having a wonderful Monday!

Happy Lifting,

Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment